Thursday, March 19, 2009

An Image to Contemplate: "The Invitation"

The Invitation - Image c Lynda Lehmann


On a walk along Main St. in a town on suburban Long Island this week, my gaze was captured by this wrought-iron chair sitting sedately in front of an ivy-covered wall. I had such a profound sense of anticipation, looking at this, as if someone very important were about to approach and take a seat. If you were to use this image as a writing prompt, what would you come up with? What would "the invitation" be? And to whom?

It's truly amazing how an inanimate object can sometimes convey an attitude, or an unseen energy, or a quality of expectation. Do you feel this too, when you look at this photo?

I also loved the all-over texture of the ivy as a backdrop for the chair, and can see a metaphor for the personal versus the impersonal, or the subjective versus the objective. Maybe I can see the passage of time implied in the overgrowth of vines, while the chair seems to retain more of its original form, and be more stable. And then again, maybe not....

What do you see here?

Image and text c Lynda Lehmann. If you would like to view more of my art or make a purchase, please visit Lynda Lehmann Painting and Photography or my gallery at Imagekind, where you can choose from several sizes and paper types or buy my prints plain or matted and framed.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Add to Technorati Favorites

Buy My Art!

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Comical and Endearing Bird Ritual....