Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ponderosity: From My New Series of Small Abstract Expressionist Paintings


Ponderosity - Lynda Lehmann c 2011


An artist friend recently told me that she likes my black and white paintings and I had to ponder on the appeal of black and white.  

I've always loved design and I think painting in black and white gives a very graphic allure and perhaps a stronger design/compositional sense than using color.  Using color most often makes the color the "truth" of the painting, at least for those of us whose wild color-love becomes unleashed when we dip our brushes (or other tools) into lush pigments.

This small painting on gallery-wrapped canvas measures 11 by 14 inches, and except for a few linear brush strokes applied at the end, was done with a palette knife. 

According to Dictionary.com "ponderosity" is a related form of "ponderous," an adjective which means:

1.
of great weight; heavy; massive.
2.
awkward or unwieldy: He carried a ponderous burden on hisback.
3.
dull and labored: a ponderous dissertation.

Here's wishing you an artful day.  May nothing too ponderous come your way!

Note:  I'm aware that I have a code glitch or two on my page, and I'll eventually figure out how to fix it!

All images and text on this blog are copyrighted material, and may be used only with written permission, except where syndication rights have been granted. All other rights reserved. Please visit my primary site at http://www.lyndalehmann.com/gallery if you would like to see my acrylic paintings and more of my photography and digital art. I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog!

Buy My Art!

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Comical and Endearing Bird Ritual....